At Castle Cary Primary School, Physical Education (PE) is an integral part of our curriculum that is inclusive and engages all pupils, in a supportive and challenging environment. We aspire for children to acquire, develop and refine their practical skills and techniques: to further their knowledge and understanding of PE concepts and principles and develop their overall competence, to enjoy, and excel in, a broad range of sports and physical activities.
We aim to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities which enable all children to succeed; to enjoy their learning; to be resilient and consistently strive to give their best efforts at all times and achieve their potential and personal best.
PE at Castle Cary Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; Invasion Games, Net & Wall Games, Striking and Fielding Games, Gymnastics, Dance, Outdoor & Adventure Activities and Swimming.
Children participate in two PE lessons each week, covering two sporting activities every half term. There is also a swimming session in KS2 which normally lasts for half a term each year.
The PE Curriculum Overview sets out the PE Units/Activities which are to be taught each half term throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met. We use and adapt a Scheme of Learning from Inspired Schools PE to ensure planning, content and delivery is age appropriate. This scheme ensures lessons, year on year, are progressive.
We promote both participation and competition through P.E and sport. We ensure all children experience competition at some level, individually or in a team, within lessons. Children in KS1 and KS2 also have opportunities to participate in the local Inter School sports competitions and festivals. We have an annual House Sports Day where all children compete for their team.
All children in EYFS, KS1 and KS2 have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular sports activities throughout the year. We also offer a residential experiences for children in Years 4 and 6 each year which involve a range of adventurous activities.
Children at Castle Cary will:
- Acquire and develop fundamental knowledge, understanding, skills and techniques and apply these to a wide variety of different sports and activities
- Achieve, to the best of their ability, in a supportive, safe and stimulating environment
- Understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of regular exercise and activity for their physical and mental wellbeing.
- Have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular activities and demonstrate their new skills in inter sports competitions and festivals
- Develop a love of sport and physical activity, which hopefully becomes part of their future life outside of Primary School.
- Become confident within the different strands of PE and show resilience when tackling new skills.